Sunday, May 23, 2010

"Primitive Sheep and Sunflower"


My friend, Audrey Swan, is a talented local rug hooking artist. She created my fabulous "Country Girl" rug. Audrey came to visit me at the Hamilton market yesterday and surprised me with this lovely little rug entitled "Primitive Sheep and Sunflower." It's so beautiful in it's simplicity. I adore primitive rug hooking. It is a craft with deep roots in history. Country people started hooking rugs in feed sacks hundreds of years ago. It was a way of creating something artistic and beautiful with materials they had around them. Many of the rugs depicted their own farm animals drawn with simple, child-like designs, making them even more endearing. Some of the rugs that survived the 19th century had a thin, scarlet red line around the border, made from a coveted and rare English Regimental jacket. Sadly, most of the early rugs didn't survive their rough use in country homes. They went from the loom to the floor then outside to the front steps. I've always wanted to hook and have the strip cutter and a simple lap loom. I've collected wool remnants over the years. There just hasn't been the time. Running this farm and working a full time job has conspired against yet another craft. Maybe someday...

1 comment:

Henya said...

Very pretty Rug. Can not imagene puting something this nice on the floor.