Sunday, May 16, 2010

Dyeing Day


I didn't intend to dye wool today, but there it was staring me in the face - raw fleeces in bags. Was it an excuse to sit down in the sun on the grass with my beautiful sheep in front of me? Probably. I do enjoy playing with wool. There was a good bit of burdock to pull out from the locks, but I got it done and in the dye pot. Then there was the colored mohair and that little bit of fuschia dye left in the jar, and it was bubbling away. I have a third fleece in the pots right now, a magnificent, huge fleece that was unfortunately bleached on the ends a good bit. I'm dyeing it spruce, which should be lovely as the tips will take the dye differently than the black shafts. Blix kept me company as I spread the fiber out on the drying rack behind the barn.

No comments: