Thursday, May 13, 2010

A Cool Dude


On May 13, 1940, Winston Churchill told the British people, "All I have to give you is blood, toil, sweat and tears." I admire Churchill. He led the British people through WWII and saved the nation from the Nazis. He was then promptly dumped by the British people for the other candidate running for Prime Minister. Churchill gave all he had to give for the cause. He loved cats and his bathtub where he would turn somersaults and flood the room. I wonder what Churchill would do about Afghanistan, where I heard we have spent a TRILLION dollars, and sacrificed nearly a thousand lives - for what? But then Churchill would have been aware of what happened when the British people tried to occupy Afghanistan. At the height of their empire, on which the sun never set, they failed. When my students tell me they don't want to apply for social services because they don't want to take any money from the government I tell them go ahead, you deserve it, and besides, there is always money for war. The country is in bad shape but there is always money for war. I don't understand our priorities. Teachers are being laid off, people are losing homes, taxes are through the roof, but we can always afford war. Very sad. I have an old button somewhere that says what if we held a war and nobody came?

No comments: