Monday, May 10, 2010

Glorious Weather


After a weekend of cold and snow we are enjoying a beautiful bright day. The sky is bright blue with big puffy clouds floating across the expanse of my universe. After stops at the PO and market I put dinner on and took off for the hilltop with the doggies. They were anxious to go as Mia had run them up there in the snow all weekend. No froggies, they must have been hunkered down in the weeds against the cold. I watch where I walk for fear of stepping on a snapper who is leaving for or coming back from her foray into the surrounding plowed fields to lay eggs. It was about this time that I found a big snapper, dried out and tired, sitting next to the water. I nudged her into the pond so the dogs wouldn't harrass her and haven't seen her since. Knowing she might be in there makes interesting swimming. Snappers don't usually bother swimmers and stay in the mud. For all I know she might have taken off for more quiet waters. I'm tired today, and will try to get to bed at a decent hour. I have three or four bags on the machine, and some bobbins to ply. Kinda frustrating that my Robin doesn't pull hard enough to ply so I use my trusty Louet, which pulls like a draft horse. I have to get the teenaged chicks out of the bathroom. They are getting bigger every day and are starting to fly around - it's getting a little weird. They're growing like crazy and need to go out to the chicken room, but this cold snap has me reluctant to do it just yet. I have two moms with chicks running around the barn and I'd like to bring some of them in, but I only have so much room in this little apartment, and there's a quality of life issue to consider. A giant rubbermaid tub full of chicks who look like little Godzillas in the bathroom makes for interesting bathing and dressing experiences. Pip tried to get near the tub yesterday and Holly went ballistic, scaring the poor chicks and startling me. Life on the farm...

No comments: