Tuesday, May 25, 2010

Kitties on the Hill



When I walk up the hill a couple of kitties like to follow us. They are usually Strawberry, Tiny Tina and Blix and sometimes Puzzle and Jinx. I worry about them getting stepped on by dogs, myself, or sheep but the nimble little creatures leap and bound, avoiding a variety of feet. The kitties love the field, which, sadly, is a source of all kinds of things for them to catch and eat, including baby snakes. I keep watching for snakes, but they are so few up here in the Northland. My kitties and chickens eat the hatchlings whenever they can find them. They brought a tiny Black Racer baby earlier this spring, bitten through the middle. Kim was walking across the lawn at Maryland Sheep and Wool and felt something wiggling under her shoes. She had stepped flat on a snake. No problem for her, but it would have given me the willies.

No comments: