Sunday, May 30, 2010

Lovely Day Dawning


I peaked out the window to see the sheep, who I left out to graze last night, up early eating their breakfast. There is a lot of grass out there for them. With an early hurricane season forecast there might be enough rain for the grass to continue growing provided I get my fields divided. Rotational grazing is the key to success, and buying enough from people who cut and bale hay to store it for next winter. Sheep leave a lovely fertilizer in the form of their manure, small pieces that are then stomped on and pushed into the ground, which improves the pasture over time. I'm hoping to sew today, clean the place up a bit, work in the barn after I visit with Mary and make soap. I have a tendency to over-plan on my "day's off." Someone told me yesterday, as she surveyed my booth, that I must get about two hours of sleep a night. I get about six. Any less than that and I'm in trouble. No matter how busy I am I get out onto my beautiful, wonderful, mystical, magical field. It's all about the sheep in the field.

No comments: