Sunday, May 09, 2010

My New Ram


After much thought and searching I bought a purebred Border Leicester yearling ram in Maryland. Zack comes from the Koeppel Border Leicester line and was bred by a 4-H family, the Hiltzes. I like to support 4-H kids as I was a member of the Somerset Cottontails as a kid. Zack is full bodied and has a nice thick, soft fleece. I'm trying to get some heavier fleeces on my lambs. Bluefaced Leicesters are wonderful, hardy and elegant sheep but they don't give a whole lot of wool. I wanted to keep the Leicester look with the Roman nose and bare legs and face. Zack rode home with Libby and is happily grazing on her ample fields. Libby will bring him here when she comes to ride on the Brookfield trails this summer. Kim and I thought about having him ride in the cab behind us going home but Libby came to our rescue. I know Zack was comfy cozy riding with the little Jacob and Libby's ewe lamb.

No comments: