Tuesday, April 14, 2009

Springy Day


Spring arrived in Central New York today. It was gorgeous outside. I went to Michaels to find the ribbon and pen I need to make my own bag labels. I don't have time to order the English labels I've been using before Maryland. Carol suggested the ribbon. We'll see how it works. I'll sign the ribbon and glue it in. I got a few more things for soapmaking from WM and, to my delight, found some great magazines in B&N to buy with Mia's gift card. They even had April British Country Living. I missed March and am surprised that Andrew's Christmas gift subscription hasn't kicked in yet. It has a great article on making goat milk fudge, something that my endurance rider shepherd friend, Libby Llop, said she would make for my booth. Have to check with officials in Md. I'm new and don't want to do anything wrong. Oh, the hay mow chicken is tootling around with 6 little chicks. I had to make a judgement call on taking them out of the mow and away from the cats. I watched for a while. Every time a cat came near she put up her wings and lowered her head in a menacing posture and marched toward the cat, who ran away. I will check tomorrow to see if all 6 are still with her. If not I'll catch them and put them all in the chicken room. Every chicken is precious. In hard times I could put the roosters in a pot and they are all good fly catchers. Around sunset I noticed Dulce, my ten year old Natural Colored ewe, lying flat on the hillside. Ran out to check on her and coaxed her up. She stood up on shaky legs and took a long pee. Got her back inside where she's safe. This is my first experience with aged ewes. The foundation ewes from Ohio are old ladies now. I lost one winter before last but the other three are fat and happy. Back to work tonight. I'm feeling okay at ten o'clock so will work on soap for a while. After barn chores I reward myself with some light vanilla ice cream with canned mandarin orange on top, my current late night snack. No more frozen bunny water. Now I have to get some spray for their bottoms to keep flies away. Summertime on the farm. Lincoln was shot on April 14. My Georgia born and raised mother never celebrated Lincoln's birthday in school. I wonder how history would have changed if he lived through Reconstruction. I know he would marvel at who's in the White House now!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Maggie, you can print labels on your computer. Iron a good light color fabric to the plastic side of freezer paper and run that through an ink jet printer. Instant labels that won't wash off. Joan in MS