Saturday, April 04, 2009

"A Hard Rain is Gonna Fall"




Rained like we should build an ark last night. Pounding on the metal roof the Sisters built when they were young farmgirls. The men would hand the long metal sheets up to the girls and they would nail them on. Too warm to snow last night, but it's colder now and the snow is coming down. Glad I am on high ground. I keep wondering what is going on down river, four hours south, where I used to live. Once you've lived through bad floods you are forever cognisant of what water can do. My farm is muddy, as the settlers built this farm 200 years ago on the springs coming down the mountain. Makes sense as they didn't have to go far for water. I got four bags cut out before I went to bed last night. I can sew 'til the cows (or sheep) come home. I got up early to take the dogs out and make coffee, nectar of the goddesses. Came back inside and thought I lost Izzy. Ran all around yelling Izzy! Izzy! No Izzy. I must have sounded like the Octomommy on the 911 call when she lost little JJ. I was about to get Matt up to go down to the road and check for the worst. If I found Izzy dead on the road I would lose my mind. Came back inside to get a swallow of coffee for sustenance and there was Izzy, wagging his tail. He was under the covers with Matt, sleeping in, wondering why Mommy was screaming his name! Have to go out and get veg. shortening and olive oil for soapmaking. Plan to make Tea Tree and Cinnamon Leaf this weekend. I find soap making very relaxing despite the work and mess. There is something just so BASIC about soap! It's my way of washing away the worry and woe of the world. And it's just so cozy and dry in my little barn home. No more does my hair freeze to the wall of the little trailer. I'm gonna give that tin can away to the next guy that comes around looking for scrap metal. Good riddance.

3 comments:

Anna said...

Hi Maggie
You'll have to send me some instructions on how to make soap someday... I'd love to learn. I'm just going to have to find the time to actually be able to do it.
Hope you have a good weekend.

Gretchen said...

Finally washed the yarn for your mittens for maryland...it should be dry tomorrow to start! Exciting stuff.

Cornerstone Fibres said...

You should sell the tin can for scrap and put that towards the tractor fund :)
Glad to hear Izzy was safe and sound -he`s smart to stay under the covers where it is warm and dry. Ours LOVES the mud LOL.

HUGS
Kim and crew