Tuesday, March 23, 2010

It's A Wool Thing


I'm skirting, washing and dyeing fleeces late into the night. The Milk Room kitties think this is all very fascinating and enjoy my company. A fleece comes out of the bag onto the table where I remove any remaining sticks, dirt, or short pieces, pull apart the locks so water can penetrate then into the washing machine for a soak in hot soapy water. Spin out the black water, into the big dye pot with hot water, Jacquard acid dye and vinegar. Stir, stir, stir to make sure all fiber is immersed in dye. Bring to simmer for half an hour while I'm working on the next fleece. Turn off the pot, let it cool down overnight. The next night I'll turn it into the washing machine for two rinses, then spin out water. Spread it out on the bed in Mia's room to dry under ceiling fan. Pack it up and ship it out to carding mill. It comes back to me in beautiful one pound balls of Mother Fiber. Why Mother Fiber? Because Wool is the Mother of All Fibers, ofcourse!

1 comment:

Jody said...

Wow...what a beautiful fleece. I luv the colour. What is it?