Wednesday, March 10, 2010

A Hard Rain's Gonna Fall


Back from work, accountant, etc. I'm hanging on for another year. So much corporation stuff to do. Matt's idea to incorporate - thanks, honey!! So much driving. Wish I had a partner to help with this stuff. I had a couple of possibilities, but the first one stayed on until she could learn how to do everything I do, then split to do it on her own. She couldn't do it, not surprising, so her mother bought her a children's clothing shop where nothing is hand made and everything comes by UPS. The next one thought it was fun to do shows and bask in the glow of all that creativity, but never really wanted to invest in the business, and her prescription pill dependancy freaked me out. Kim is fabulous but so far away and she has her family and her own fiber arts business. I'll manage with my grumpy long-suffering husband and faithful customers. Rain is coming, air feels damp. The garbage people were able to empty my dumpster, which seems to be more of a liability than an asset. They left a neon green sticker on it that sad "no more black bags!" Fine with me, as I'm old enough to remember a time when there were no black bags and garbage was a real nasty thing to deal with. But how to get it to the dumpster? Guess I'll have to empty the bags into the dumpster. Got the doggies out, then turned on the news. There's a mother of twins who came out of the hospital with a $480,000 bill. Babies are on medicaid but she still owes $480,000 and has no job. After my $149.00 tetanus shot I'm not surprised at the dollar amount. Like I've said before, there's always enough money for war, or giving ridiculous amounts of aid to other countries to make sure they stay friendly with us, or tax breaks for the wealthy, but for our own every day working citizens? Finally we have a chance to pass a bill to help people. Roosevelt had a heck of a time getting the New Deal passed, and it had to be tweaked for sure, but it gave the country hope for the future. This health care bill is not perfect, but it's a start. The news had a report this morning about the fact that there are 16% more millionaires this year than last, but there are many more poor people. And they need our help. I have health coverage (except for preventive vaccinations!) but so many don't and are not getting the help they need. I've heard people say I have coverage and don't want to pay for it for anyone else. It's so much more complicated than that. They might not have that coverage tomorrow and then they'll change their minds.

1 comment:

Trish said...

You are doing what we had hoped to do with our farm. Job limitations meant that it is now more of a hobby that we try to make pay for itself. We sell some sheep for breeding, most for meat, and I sell my fleeces, rovings and pelts. But-I don't even have the time to often make it to guild meetings where there is a demand for my farm products. You've hit the 'big time' for fiber festivals, but I can only imagine how busy you are keeping up. Teaching does work well for 'time off' in the summer though to catch up (I'm a teacher also).