Monday, February 07, 2011

Sheep Drama




Came home from work to find Prince William lying on the hay, stiff and cold. Got him inside and slowly thawed out. He must not have been getting enough milk from mom, who has one working udder. After a warm bath, and tubing, and electrolytes, and roasting in the oven and by the wood stove, Prince William started to come around. I went out to do chores with Matt, who met me at the door excitedly saying we've got lambs! Miss Mamie gave birth to a pair of huge, beautiful ram twins. She is an old rescued Rambouillet ewe who I was concerned about but seems to be fine. Miss Mamie was too tired to get up and wash her babies so we put them by her nose to lick off. She's a fabulous mother who adores her boys. Mom and boys are snug in the jug with everything they need to be happy. I am giving Prince William his night-night bottle, then crashing hard. Last night's three am session with twins set me back a little. I wouldn't be surprised if there is another one tonight. Sweet lambie dreams...

No comments: