Wednesday, February 02, 2011

No New Babies


I woke up with a start and saw 6:30. Panic set in. How did I sleep so long??? Rushed to the window and the early light didn't show me much more of a snow build-up. What happened to the formidable snow predicted? What was going on in the barn? Did I have to go to work today? How could I get everybody in the barn taken care of in time to get myself bathed and dressed? I had closed my eyes assured of a snow day today. What a relief to turn on the computer and get the message from Gretchen, co-teacher, that our school is closed. Joy! Euphoria! Clicked the coffee pot on, got the kitty oatmeal going, suited up and got the doggies out for a quickie pee/poo. Had to jump a drift blocking the back door. Doggies in, out to the sheep. All quiet, everybody lying down. I stood quietly listening before I ventured to the back of the barn. I can walk along a corridor next to them so I don't have to walk through them. Nothing going on. I decided to count the pregnant sheep - 32! I knew there were a bunch, but exact numbers are startling. Have to buy ear tags quickly. I have scrapie tags, but they are only required for sheep leaving the farm for food. I like colored tags that tell me at a glance what year sheep were born, and right ear for ewes, left ear for rams. And names, I need names! I kinda started with British Royal Family names - Prince William and Kate Middleton. I thought of star names but some of them are really weird. Shakespeare characters are always good. Movie stars? I have Brad and Angelina goat twins, and Monkey's buck kid is Spikey. So glad Kimmie Cornerstone is knitting more coats. She's coming in two weeks for farm sitting while I go to Mia's wedding. Luckily she'll have Darryl, Jared and Lindsay on board. All those goffers and toters to bring her this and get her that. Love those Canadians - they are so laid back and not afraid of hard work.

No comments: