Tuesday, February 01, 2011

3 AM !!


I tiptoed out at 3 AM and found Lola standing over this little guy. If she's going to get me up at 3 AM at least she could have given me a doe kid. Oh, well, all babies come from heaven, even buck kids. I made a quick cup of chamomile tea for myself, got suited up, stepped out with the doggies for a quick pee, grabbed my kit and got Mom and baby situated in a pen filled with fresh alfafa hay. Lola was thrilled with the hay but not happy about me reaching under that mass of mohair to pull on her teats in the middle of the night. Her form of protest was to lie down on top on my hands while I was trying to nurse her out. I was persistent and managed to get a nice jar of warm colostrum for the handsome fella I am calling Ray Davies. I filled up his belly, got Lola a bucket of warm molasses water, then gave some milk to Monkey's baby, Spikey, who is smallish and not as strong as Ray Davies. Staggered back inside to find my fire is out. I'm going back to sleep. A sleety, icy snow is falling steadily out there.

No comments: