Saturday, February 26, 2011

After the Storm


Had to dig to get the truck out so Matt could go to Postma's and pick up hay. The hay cart, a modified landscape trailer, was drifted over. The short bed on the truck can hold 38 bales piled high. One has to drive back to the farm very carefully. Matt likes to go to Postmas. They are so friendly and helpful and always ask what's going on with the wedding, lambs, etc. Matt always comes back in a good mood. The Postma farm is right behind the Chobani factory which is exploding with expansion construction right now. It's great to see some industry in this area, even though it looks so out of place, sprawling between farms, on both sides of the road. They even built a covered corridor, high above the road, to connect the factory buildings. I confess I enjoy the Greek yogurt, which has the texture of very creamy ice cream. Pomegranite is my favorite, and I eat one every night as my guilty treat. We have to go back again at 4 to pick up another load to get us through the week. Was hoping to get to the movies today, but doesn't look good. Not much I can do, we have to have hay for the sheep. Wouldn't it be nice to have a mow full of the stuff, but maybe next year. I have to work harder, and make better connections. Pirate Radio, another good Brit-flick is on at 4, and I love the soundtrack. I'll do some sewing while that's on. Deborah, the ewe lamb born to Dina, is doing well. I went out there this morning and saw her lying in the same spot I left her last night, with Dina on the other side of the pen staring out into the flock. Uh-oh, I thought, this teenage mom is not liking motherhood. I picked up the lamb and to my delight her belly was firm and her mouth warm as toast - signs she is nursing just fine. I put her down and she ran under her mom to nurse - phew! When I put out hay, she began nibbling on it - at one day old! I think I have two more sheep to go, maybe three. The lambs are growing like crazy, even the tiny ones are looking more sturdy and taller. I left Bella out with the sheep this morning. She is lying next to a lamb pile-up, looking a little perplexed but comfortable. I want her to know she is a sheep. She's liking the hay and nibbling on it, which is very good for her. The sooner she's off the milk replacer, the better. I'm not going to keep the lambs on bottles forever the way I used to. On deck for today - finish the messenger lap-top bag I started last night and cut out another one. I'll tidy up the apartment a bit, but that's usually a hopeless case. I need to make more creme. My ad came out in Wild Fibers Magazine today! It's a fantastic issue, and Linda Cortright made an adorable ad for me. Hope to take some time to read an article or two. Ciao for now.

2 comments:

Cornerstone Fibres said...

Oh will definetely have to check out the issue :) Bella is probably overwhelmed by all the attention a pretty little girl like her can get from all those handsome boys!
HUGS
Kim and crew

Unknown said...

I LOVE the Chobani Pomegranate too - it's really expensive down here though. Maybe I should apply for a job at the factory so I can get it at a discount!