Wednesday, November 11, 2009

Thank A Vet


It's been many years since the doorbell rang and an Army recruiter came in the door handing me papers to sign so my 17 year old Eric could join the Army. All my fault, since I didn't let him play with guns as a child. I wouldn't allow any weapon-type gifts, either. What else would a hippie-flower-child mother do in the Age of Aquarius? Once in the Army, Eric could play with all the guns he wanted. Now, many years later, after a VMI degree and serving his time in the military, Eric has a safe full of guns and takes Hannah and Luke to the range with him. I'm glad they are spending time together, that's how I look at it. I don't own a gun and don't really want one. I don't know anything about them and have a healthy fear of them...but I'm all in favor of putting down the plowshare and picking up the sword in the face of a national threat, and my family on my mother's side has been doing just that in this country since the Colonial Wars, before the American Revolution. AJ was never much for gunplay, but when the Army sent him to Gitmo for a year, his special weapon was the 50 caliber machine gun, pictured above. Thanks to all who come forward to protect democracy and preserve our way of life. I am indebted to you.

1 comment:

Suzanne@ Panteg Alpacas said...

completely agree - we owe then all a huge debt