Thursday, November 05, 2009

Sensitivity Training


Went to the second session of our sensitivity training today. My aide, Robin, scored 22 on relating to students and I scored a 13. I got the higher score on structure and teaching. Good thing she is there to relate to the students while I throw the work at them. When they gave me this job which requires me to be with the same group for three hours I knew my only hope was structure and over-planning. Never a dull moment. Well, I'm not that bad...I do let them have ten minutes at the end of the 3 hours for throwing the ball back and forth, chatting, sleeping, etc. I'm not a complete ogre. My room was meant for art classes before they had the overflow so I don't have a Smart Board or overhead projector, just a mini dry marker board, and I use it all the time when I teach so I constantly have to erase. Oh, and Thursday is cooking day. They can make cakes, cookies, whatever they want. We're planning a complete Thanksgiving dinner the week before the holiday break. That will be fun. I'm using Martha Stewart's method of cooking a turkey quickly by breaking the breastbone and spreading it out in a pan. We'll see how it works out. In the meantime I drove home at 5 in the dark with big flakes of sleety snow falling. Winter is here. Out to the barn for evening chores. It's not 8 and I'm falling asleep while I type. Better have a quick cup of tea and suit up. Too cold and damp for tee shirt and jeans. Lucky sheep with their coats of wool.

No comments: