Wednesday, November 04, 2009

Happy Birthday Dingy


Today is my baby brother's birthday. His name is Mark Edward but we always called him Dingy. He was crazy about trains and whenever we would be stopped at the train tracks, and there seemed to be more of them years ago, the bell would ding-ding-ding. My brother would be so excited. So he became Dingy. Only 13 months apart we grew up together. My mother adored her three boys, but Dingy was her darling. When he was 19 he had a tragic car accident - a head on collision which caused him serious brain damage. I brought him home with me for his rehabilitation. Dingy eventually recovered but has no memory of his life before the accident. I was so happy to have my brother back but sad our childhood together was lost. He went to college in Boston and is still living there with his wife, Melinda and two daughters, Emma and Charlotte. He is a successful real estate broker on Beacon Hill and is an avid gardener. Life takes so many twists and turns, and I haven't seen them for many years. I've asked him if he reads my journal, but I know he doesn't. I have to be happy that he's happy and not be selfish about it. Melinda is very close to her family and they always go there for holidays, etc. Well, Happy Birthday Dingy. I love you.

No comments: