Sunday, September 06, 2009

New Chicks in Town


When I was feeding my bunnies last night I heard the unmistakable cheep-cheep coming from the ceiling in the barn. A hen had laid her eggs in a cubby in the wall! She was gone, nowhere that I could see. It was dark and getting cold. I found a box and guess what - another hatched and one is hatching! You can see it's beak in the egg. I wish Luke was here, he was so thrilled with this process. I am, too! The last thing I need is more chicks to look after, as I have 13 in another box in the bathroom and school is starting, weekends away, etc. But I couldn't turn my back on the little creatures who want so much to live. I told my long-suffering husband that we are like Puerto Ricans who raise chickens in their apartment in the ghetto. He could relate to that, being a city-boy from Newark, NJ, and laughed. Around here, all you can do is laugh sometimes!

2 comments:

Cornerstone Fibres said...

They are so cute and so darn tough -I mean how can something that fragile and small survive. Nature is really a miracle sometimes!
HUGS
Kim

Henya said...

They are so, so cute.