Tuesday, September 08, 2009

Attitude Adjustment


I am tired and want to go to bed but I have to plan. Its been a long time since I had to prepare for school. I didn't sleep too well last night, from 12 to 4 maybe. My teacher friend, Rosanna, picked me up this morning at 7:30 and I got home at 6. We had to travel to our sister campus in Masonville, near Walton, near Sidney, which is an hour east of here. Teeny-tiny Walton is famous for the facility where New York City gets its water. After hugs and greetings we listened to a speaker telling us how to avoid catching swine flu. Then we broke for union meetings. Lunch was pesto pasta with pieces of cheesecake so big I was embarrassed to take one and eat it in front of anyone. Late at night in front of the TV I would have had two, but in public, forget it. Our afternoon motivational speaker from the Univ. of Vermont was terrific. My head was dropping but I had to find out from a few different people about my classroom, student list, how can I get a desk, etc. BOCES is growing, classrooms are being switched around and things are a bit chaotic right now. Rosanna and I drove over to our campus in Norwich and checked out our classrooms. My room was an art room for the last two years and is not really set up for teaching. It will take me a month or so to get it right. I had to haul GED textbooks and binders from upstairs, and move another teachers summer school stuff from the middle of my floor. There are several new teachers on the special ed staff and one is assigned to me to help with GED. I also have an aide, a Vietnam War vet who is a fantastic chair caner. Rosanna and I stopped for groceries on the way home. I dragged my behind into the barn to find it didn't burn down and the chicks are still alive in the bathroom. Let's see what tomorrow brings when I face the skralings (that what the Vikings called the indigenous people they found).

1 comment:

miaaviva said...

yah! a speaker from UVM! thought of you all day! love you