Monday, July 06, 2009

Chickie Babies




When a hen hatches a few chicks she usually leaves the nest with them to start teaching them how to forage for food. Hannah and Luke are always worried the eggs left behind have chicks who can be saved. They like to bring the eggs in for hatching under the light. We've hatched several and will raise them inside until they can fend for themselves. Sometimes we find lost chicks. This morning I found 5 in the old silo well. I think the mom was unable to get them up out of there and finally abandoned them. I heard peeping when I was feeding the rabbits last night but didn't put it together. There are several bands of chicks roaming around with their mothers and they all peep. I thought I better check this morning when I heard them and sure enough, they were trapped and helpless. Now we have quite a little flock of chicks in the bathroom, and I'll have to find a bigger box. They are soooo cute.

1 comment:

Henya said...

They are very very cute. The kids must be over the moon about them.