Sunday, January 10, 2010

Update from Animal Planet


Hysterics over! While I was tending to a new baby doe kid, born in the same place as the buck kid the day before, in the back of the barn, I heard some faint lamb sounds. I followed the little moans and, incredibly, saw a speck of white wedged between a rusty old water tank and the barn door. Apparently the lamb crawled into this narrow space and couldn't get back out. Why it waited so long to make noise I have no idea. Maybe it was so exhausted after birth and crawling around it had no energy to cry. Mom had never wandered very far away. I had to lie down on the hay and reach my arm into the tunnel because the tank was impossible to move. I grabbed the hind legs ans pulled the long white snake of a lamb body out. He had been licked off but was freezing cold. After reuniting him with mom I whisked him into the kitchen for some oven warming. Tiny little doe kid is doing well. I decided to bring the goat moms and babies into the work room which seperates the apartment from the rest of the barn. The moms are not happy about it but they are not happy about frozen babies, either. Desperate times call for desperate measures. I brought the warmed ram lamb back out to his mom, after Matt and I caught the thoroughly spooked mom. She's more interested in the bucket of corn than her lost baby, but I'm hoping she'll pay attention to him after her belly is full. Total Drama Farm is fully functional. After some chicken soup and biscuits I have to crotch the new goat mom or the tiny baby will never find the teats in the mass of mohair.

2 comments:

Anna said...

Glad to hear your day is ending on a positive note.

Henya said...

Drama for sure! Happy to hear that you found your stray.