Sunday, January 03, 2010

Twins


Blanca had twin ram lambs around noontime today. There they were - tiny little things, standing up shivering in the barn. Mom had gone to eat the hay that was just put down. She's a little flighty, so I was concerned, but once captured and put in the pen with the boys she calmed down. Warm molasses water, second cut hay and a little bit of corn helped. Blanca is thin after carrying twins so I'll build her weight back up with food. Although nicely bagged up I didn't get a whole lot of milk out of her. I had to use the colostrum I had saved in the refrigerator. She still hasn't passed her afterbirth so I might give her a shot of oxytocin to help her get rid of the membranes and bring down the milk. We'll see. While out there with the newborns Matt helped me worm the moms, dock some tails and give tetanus shots. I put a bigger sweater on Dina and got a nice big sweater on Nicholas. Dina and Dolly are now out in the barn together. I sure hope the moms keep track of their babies. Right now I have to lie down and take a nap. WalMart lasagna is in the oven so I don't have to cook tonight. Matt is shoveling snow so I can get my minivan out of the driveway to go to work tomorrow. The van has almost zero clearance and can't plow through like the F150. Still waiting on Ron to finish the valve job on my tractor. Life on the Farm...

1 comment:

Trish said...

Congrats on the healthy babies. Glad they were born during the daytime when you could find them and it wasn't super cold.

How many left to lamb?