Sunday, January 17, 2010

Ahhh, Sunday Morning


Stayed up way too late watching Inglorious Basterds and slept until the scandalous time of 8 am. IB was very entertaining, gorey in parts, and slow in others, but the ending was very clever. We both have parents who were in WWII service and it looms large in our collective memories. I woke up to find Pearl Harbor on TV, the mushy romantic Hollywood version with Ben Affleck and co. Very good movie, very moving. I hung my "I have a kid in the Army" flag in my classroom door at school, as I was sick of my cats pulling it down from every window I hung it in here at home. Some of the boys were really excited and told me they were signing up asap. I do what I can to steer them in that direction as it was terrific experience for my own boys and a steady income with benefits for these upstate kids with few prospects. One of my former students came back to visit and is thrilled with the Army and the money/respect it gives him. No new babies this morning. Monkey still has a discharge and is very unwieldy when she walks around. I bet she's holding it in until I go back to work on Tuesday just 'cause she can 'cause she's a Monkey. Cold wet weather is on the way back. It's been a lovely reprieve the last few days. Lambs in pens are doing okay. Tank is learning to suck with vigor and can stand on his feet while nursing. Makes it easier for me not to have to hold him and coax it along. Big giant ram lamb from Friday night is not nursing well enough for my liking. Mom is willing and he pokes around but I haven't seen him really nurse. I'm giving him a supplemental bottle to keep him strong. I nursed out his mom so she doesn't get engorged but don't want to have to keep that up. OH, the maternity ward. At least they all came out okay without me having to lie down on the poop and reach in to the great unknown this year. Back to work. I think writing in this journal appeals to me because I can sit down to do it. I borrowed a book from Matt's co-worker at the party last night called Woodswoman about a woman who built a cabin on a lake in the Adirondacks and lived there alone. Should be very interesting. Have to turn off the TV and read it sometime. I can spin while I watch TV so I don't feel guilty as I'm making product while loafing. Reading is truly a guilty pleasure.

1 comment:

Henya said...

Reading your blog is like reading a very good mystery book - you never know what comes next. Also for me too at this point reading is a guilty pleasure, I read when I eat mostly.