Tuesday, June 30, 2009

Yes, the Rumors Are True!


Now I've done it. I'm a worm farmer. I've wanted to do it for years. Worm farming is a natural partner to rabbit raising. The manure drops down into containers of worms that live on the poop and hay. There is a market for worms, not only as bait (which I prefer not to think of) but as a composting aid. Allan, the technical school science teacher I work with, offered them to me. How did he know???? There is harmony in the universe! They are red wigglers, a worm species especially prized by organic gardeners. Allan illuminated me as to worm habits and what to feed them. They love coffee grounds, and, yes, we have plenty of French Roast in this barn. Allan says the coffee grounds make the worms taste better to the fish. Okay, whatever! I can give them leftover food along with my manure. Allan started them in a giant pile of horse poop. Works for me! I'll let you know how I make out. Chris, my custodian/dairy farmer friend from work tells me earthworms go for $4 a dozen. They are a little too snake-like for me, but the red wigglers are tiny and have no teeth. I can sell them at my farmer's market booth, if it ever stops raining on weekends. Hannah and Luke are particularly fascinated with Omi's new venture. I have to turn the worm farm into a bigger container, with holes in the bottom and lined with newspaper, according to Allan. I better follow directions if I want to make it in the worm farming business!

4 comments:

Cornerstone Fibres said...

Awesome -we've been doing that up here for about 6 months -the compost is fabulous for the gardens :) And boy does it cut down your waste!!

HUGS
Kim

can't wait to see everybody -oh my gosh have they grown!!!

Aaron Joshua Oliver said...

Ewwwwwwwwww! J/K, whatever works >)

Henya said...

Hm, do they u-la-la, since you are giving them french roast? And is there are fish that is addicted to caffeine because they have been eating coffee saturated worms?

Penny said...

Too funny! I just had a conversation with my sister and unbeknownest to the other we were both thinking about vermiculture.
Let me know how it works for you.