Sunday, June 14, 2009

Good News


I have finally found some terrific local dairy goats, just 8 miles away in Waterville. I saw the sign at Louis Gale Feeds and called the owner, who owns Gallagher's, a local family dairy farm. They are beautiful purebred Nubians with papers! Just what I was hoping for. The Gallagher children are raising them for 4-H and have more goats than they need. The price is very reasonable compared to what I have found in years past. I found dairy goats in Bainbridge but they wanted $350 - waaayyy out of my price range. I'm taking the two I was offered, plus an unrelated buck for breeding in the fall. No babies, no milk. I've wanted to raise my own milk forever, for soap making, lotions, and our own consumption. I missed out on an opportunity a couple of years ago when Susie M. called from over the hill about a flock of Nubians she was trying to place. When she got my voice mail she called somebody else!! Then there was my poor rescued Rhonda, a La Mancha doe, who ate herself into bloat the first day out to pasture in the spring two years ago. She was dead before the vet called back. Yes, I know, something else to do in the morning before I go to work - but I want to try. They have to be milked 12 hours apart for maximum production, say 6 am and 6 pm. I hope to substitute goat milk for the milk I use in the house, too. I bought a gallon Friday after work and it's gone on Sunday morning. How could two adults drink so much milk??? But we do. I'll try cheese-making, too. Goat milk can be frozen. Soapmaking goat people tell me they pour lye on frozen goat milk. I can use it for bottle lambs, too. Oh, I'm so excited. Now to break the news to Matt that I need another pen and feeding apparatus. I have a milking stand already.

2 comments:

Steph said...

Goat milk makes the best ice cream!!!! Steph in NH

Henya said...

Mazal Tov. We love goat milk. I have a very nice recipe for easy goat cheese. we used to make our own when we lived near the goats.