Wednesday, June 10, 2009

Happy to Be Over the Hump


Yeah, it's Wednesday. I even got to work on time after a mad dash into the local market to get my bros some jam, white bread and whole milk to go with the mega jar of peanut butter they are working on. I left early enough that I could go 55 instead of 75, a nice feeling. I'm always amazed when I arrive at work in a timely fashion in one piece. It's a big responsibility to leave last and get home first. If I forget something I am the first to find it when I get home and have to deal with it. Most of my morning anxiety is animal related. (I gave up on clothes when I moved to the hill country - I have a fortune of gorgeous things in bags in the tractor shed that I'm too fat to wear now anyway and there are no closets in the barn apartment to hang them up in). I have several stations of water and food to take care of, including putting bowls of water on the ground so the baby chicks don't climb into the sheep water tanks and drown - ghastly thing to come home to - and climbing the hay mow ladder to feed the kitties up there. I know, I know, barn kitties are supposed to live on the nasty critters that frequently live in barns. Those creatures are long gone courtesy of the Kitty Cadre. They even got rid of the pidgeons that were living in the silos after the kitties drove them off the roof of the barn! I am an Italian Mamma when it comes to feeding animals. Nobody goes hungry if I can help it. A big chunk of my pay goes for feeding cats and dogs, don't mention the sheep, goats and chickens. I sometimes think of what all that money could have amounted to if I had saved it instead - but it might have been lost if put into a 401K, like so many others I hear about whose life savings are gone. And I would not have been nearly as happy. I have to come up with a fortune of money to get my cats fixed. I found a place in Cazenovia that will take my cats in groups and do them in one day. When I was growing up Aunt Margaret would take care of getting my cats fixed. She was my father's sister, had no children, and was an ardent animal rights activist...a little crazy, but it runs in the family.

No comments: