Tuesday, June 02, 2009

A Walk in the Clouds


I took the doggies up the big hill to the pond after work today. It does wonders for my head and I feel like I have more energy when I take a daily hike. The weather is warming up but still breezy and comfortable. The hilltop is just sooo gorgeous with the hay waving back and forth. We walked around the pond, watching tadpoles scoot away from the splashing doggie feet and noses. I saw a flash of orange and thought it must be an old swim toy belonging to Hannah and Luke. Then I saw a fin swishing back and forth. It has to be the little gold fish Chris Kupris, my neighbor and former owner of this hill, put in the pond two years ago. I couldn't believe my eyes. This little gold fish has grown into a foot long, round and fat, bright orange carp. Or is it coy? I forget what giant gold fish are called. We followed it half way around the pond before it disappeared. Chris had often asked if we noticed his fish, but I had no news for him until now. On the way back down the hill I lay down on the grass to take a snooze, tough to do with cold noses poking my face. I managed to take a little nap in the glorious sunshine with sheep and goats dotting the hills all around me. I woke up to find a line of black and white woolies coming toward me, heads down, teeth munching grass in unison like a mowing machine. What a picture, frozen in my mind. They broke ranks and went right around me. I got up and made my way down the hill to chores and dinner. Sister Grace just called for me to come and get a kitten who wandered over to her place. She's lost most of her garden in the frost - so sad - but she wants me to take some lettuce for a salad. Sounds good to me.

2 comments:

jan said...

Actually, it looked like you had sat down and started reading a story! All of a sudden, the sheep and goats headed directly toward you and formed a cirle, as if listening intently to your every word! Quite a lovely scene!

Henya said...

I can just imagine it, what fun.