Friday, May 08, 2009

Time to Say Goodbye


I know what Bodie was up to when he slipped away. I was surprised to see him standing by the door waiting to be let out, when, for many days I had to coax him to get up and make him go out. Bodie had somewhere to go. My mother told me stories as a kid about how her patients, bedridden for a long time, would suddenly get up and go to the closet in the hospital room to put their street clothes on. It was time to go. What perfect timing. I had the back of the Jeep open to load him in, and then he was gone. He must have picked a good spot, as neither of us can find him. It was a beautiful moonlit night and I hope he was able to enjoy it from wherever he is resting. When I do find him I will bring him back to lay beside Jasper, who drew his last breathe in my company, and I will be able to visit them both every day. That's enough for now, it's just too soon to talk about it...but I'm not going to go off the deep end like I did with Jasper. I'd rather celebrate the life of this amazing dog, who spent his last years roaming 50 acres of fields and ponds, a dog's Shangri-La. Always a belly-full of food, with varmints to chase and chew on and a warm bed at night. There is no greater love than the love of a faithful dog. I don't know what we humans did to deserve them.

8 comments:

Annie said...

I'm so sorry about Bodie. I think you're right--he knew it was his time. There are tennis balls, ponds, and lots of energetic children to play with where he is now.

Jan said...

Maggie,

My heart grieves for you and Matt. We watched as you and/or Matt was driving the hills last night and we were so hopeful you would find him and be able to find peace in your minds and hearts. We too know, that he is where there is no arthritis and he is young in body and soul. He couldn't have had a better life anywhere other than what you and Matt gave him. His eyes in your picture tells you he loved you as you loved him ....

Our hope is that is playing with our "forever puppies" somewhere in puppy heaven.

June said...

I am so sorry to hear of your loss. I do not have dogs, I have cats, but the pain of their loss is the same. My thoughts and prayers are with you.

Maggie's Farm said...

Thank you, everyone, for your kind words, off and on line. I can barely stand it, but am keeping busy. I have lots and lots of critter children to take care of. Fortunately, they don't know what death is. I bet they think Bodie just went for a walk around the farm and will be back any time now. I just don't know how to tell Hannah and Luke. When I told them Daisy had "gone to heaven" four years ago, they howled and screamed for hours.

kruis2004 said...

Years ago, when I was growing up...my dog Jip was ill. Back then we couldn't afford a Vet for the animals...and Jip went away. Assuming he was "gone"...he returned...about a week later.... healed and happy. We have no idea what happened to him...but it really didn't matter. What we were assuming was the "worst" at his age...turned out totally different. Never give up...God Bless...
Debi

Kathleen said...

I can't think of a better way for a dog to go...surrounded by open fields, bunnies out there somewhere, and birds singing around him. I hope he's off chasing those bunnies now, just like he did in his dreams. Send him hugs from all of us out here, even if you don't find him. And here's a hug for you, too, Maggie.

Cornerstone Fibres said...

BIG hUGS Maggie and Matt and all the critters too. Bodie was a beautiful soul and a true gentleman. He will be well remembered! A four legged guardian angel is now among us.


HUGS
Kim and crew

Henya said...

Hugs, hugs, hugs.