Sunday, May 24, 2009

Lazy Sunday Morning


The weekend is flying by. So lovely to have AJ here to keep me company. He and Matt talk religion and politics non-stop. Matt is on a spiritual journey that began with Roman Catholicism and is evolving through the Episcopalian Church to Buddhism to some form of Animism via Maggie's Farm. AJ was deployed to Guantanamo Bay for a year, so he has many stories to tell of the island prison facility. He remembers letting groups of civilians into the prison - interrogation teams? Very much discussion in the news right now. No comment here, other than to say I am totally against torture of any kind. Why? Because I don't want my son tortured when he is deployed overseas. Period. No torture of any kind, anywhere, by any government. I toasted the baguette purchased last night and served it with pulpy orange juice and real butter to the Young Lieutenant for breakfast. Matt decided to camp out in the sheep show trailer last night to hopefully get some relief for his back, which still has him crippled. I miraculously slept to 8 am. It feels fantastically energizing.

I keep thinking about the wonders of the farmer's market. Vision of pretty pots of flowers, perfectly ripe vegetables, Mennonite children in their cute costumes, but most of all....the new rug hooking vendor, Audrey Swan of Adriannas Thoughts in Wool. I am crazy about her hooked rugs. I tried primitive rug hooking a while back, but events conspired against it. I bought a wool cutter, a frame, hooks, and I always have wool. Primitive rug hooking has an interesting history. English farmers would use every bit of precious wool to hook rugs. The most prized wool of all was the bright red regimental jacket, which is why many old rugs have a thin red border line around them. Few survived as they went from the living room or bedroom floor to the kitchen door, to the barn, and then the trash heap. I know they wouldn't last long in my house. Hooked rugs would be hung on my walls. Anyway, Audrey Swan's daughter set her up in a lovely tent with a MacBook and IPod playing music, and built a fabulous web site for her! Members can post blog posts on her rug hooking site! I'm so envious! I'm saving up for the rug called "Country Girl" which has a long haired blonde girl and all her animals. Bundaflicka means country girl in Swedish - what could be more appropriate for me??? It would look adorable in my booth. Fantasties are free, right? You can check out Audrey's creations by logging on to www.adriannasthoughtsinwool.ning.com. You won't be disappointed.

1 comment:

Henya said...

The rugs are beutiful. That Blondy would look right at home in your both.