Monday, May 04, 2009

Best in Show and Back in the Barn


Trip to Maryland was fantastic. So many happy memories. My little Bluefaced Leicester lamb photo "Princess of the Flowers" earned me a First Place and Best in Show...a dream come true. Very pleased and proud. Kim and Carol were so much help I don't know how I could have done it without them. They are tireless workers with terrific ideas about how to set up a booth and display wares to the best advantage. We checked into the Strawberry Inn where we enjoyed a fire in the morning when we came down to breakfast. The crowds came out on Saturday and many friends stopped by the booth. Everything I brought was validated with purchases. The carded fiber I picked up from the mill was as nice as I hoped it would be. Lovely sunflower yellow, pumpkin orange, scarlet red, brilliant blue and some multicolor mixed with natural colored wool. One pound balls marched steadily out of the booth all day. My bags were carried out by delighted ladies. Some bought two. One Chinese college professor bought two bags to take to Russia with her. She picked out a bag with mauve colored medallions all over it that I've had for a couple of years. Another woman came in the booth and asked her if she was going to buy that bag. The Chinese lady handed it to her, then wanted it back when the other woman decided to buy it. I couldn't believe my eyes. I've wanted to go home and sew some more ever since. Soap sales were steady. Kim, Carol and Libby had their handspun skeins, sweaters and felted bags on display and they all had sales. We went out to a nice dinner on Saturday to celebrate our success. Sunday dawned gray and rainy. We said our goodbyes to Miss Jane and her son Bud after a lavish breakfast and made our way to the fairgrounds. The skies opened up and torrential rain poured down all day. It put a damper on attendance but we still had good sales. Libby and I attended a fascinating but sobering lecture by a South African scientist on parasitology. My friend Henya of Chicken Stitches came by and we had a lovely visit. My new booth neighbor, Jennie the Potter, a big blonde Norwegian girl, came all the way from Minneapolis to display her wares. My neighbor on the other side came from Montana with her woven sheep wall hangings. Susan's Fiber Shop across from me came from Wisconsin. She tried to sell me a $900 Teeswater ram, but there was no way I could get him home. It was a steal for a magnificent sheep who would have put some density onto my BFL lambs. The ram's brother was going for $2,500! Neither one sold at the festival. Libby found a cute little Jacob ram lamb to bring home. I know she had a great time, although her family at home seemed to be very anxious to get her back. Libby's cell phone calls "MOOOOOMMMMM" every time it rings! We packed up and got on the road around 7 Sunday night and pulled into the farm after 2. Got Carol off to Freeville, then got ready for bed. Izzie and Holly went to bed with Kim!! No Izzie on my first night home!! Two hours sleep and we were up and ready to go. Kim set off for the Canadian border and I went to work. So nice to be back with the sheep tonight. Much more to tell but I'm so sleepy. Good night!

3 comments:

Cornerstone Fibres said...

Izzie is a nice snuggl3er too :) Tell him I missed him and Holly last night -Java was sulking and wouldn't come sleep with her mommy. Some loving I get LOL.
Thank you again for a wonderful time.

HUGS
Kim

Joanna said...

I saw your booth at MDS&W--it was awesome! I bought red and blue roving and why the HECK did I listen to my stingy purse and not get the yellow. Any chance of ordering some? It's spinning up lovely--some neps that make a nice tweedy character. I plan to make sock yarn out of this and it's so fun to spin. My DH is now wanting to go to more fiber festivals, having really enjoyed MD even in the rain.

Maggie's Farm said...

So glad you like the wool!! Sure, I can send you some yellow. I need your address. Please send it to bundaflicka@yahoo.com. Thanks for your kind words about my booth and products. It means so much to me.