Sunday, May 24, 2009

Tess and Her Boys


My new mom, Tess, is taking good care of her buck twins. I found them in the back of the barn, where I first saw them two nights ago. Mom was out grazing, so I could check bellies without causing her concern. Warm and full. I must have tipped off her radar, as she came right back and took the babies outside. I saw them walking up to the gate which was open to let the whole flock out to graze. She paused every few steps to let them nurse, which reassures the little ones that mom is going to take care of them on this big new adventure. Sure enough, the forecasted thunder storms came and the sky opened up. I watched as she turned them around to lead them in. She would run a few feet, then stop to let the boys catch up, then run some more, urging them on with little bleats. Angora goats are fabulous mothers.

Another cup of coffee, Columbia by Starbucks (not strong enough for me, I'm going back to French Roast, Italian Roast, Expresso, Cafe Verona or Ethiopia - they don't make my favorite - Yukon Blend any more!)) then get ready to work. AJ is going to help me shear a couple of goats. That black mohair is not improving on the animal and I want it!! I have angora bunnies that need plucking and clipping too. The dye pots will be fired up this summer? I gave Candace a few pounds of yellow, orange and blue roving to spin for me. Can't wait to see how that comes out. Most of what I've given her has been natural colors - gorgeous, but some color will be fun to work with. I'm going to knit some hand bags ala Crayonbox Designs and see if I can imitate Carol's magic.

No comments: