Saturday, May 09, 2009

First Day at the Farmer's Market


Took a while to get there but it was worth it. The weather was perfect, warm and breezy. After taking care of Bodie, who has to be helped outside and fed by hand, and getting Monkey and her new baby situated in the jug with cord snipped and colostrum milked, there were no close parking spaces left. Matt and I had to hike the goods to my spot. The trailer was still packed from Maryland by my teamster friends so I knew everything was in there. Matt left to go buy the underground stuff for my septic system. I have until the 28th to get it in or "move to a compliant structure," which, for me, would be the trailer. Been there, done that, no thanks. The excavator is coming on Wednesday to dig and Matt will do the rest. There goes my Maryland money, but sure am glad to have it over with. Then the firewall, then more insulating, and we will be tight as a drum next winter. I just paid off the electric company from the mother lode of power we used last winter on heat. Back to the farmer's market. It was moving out day for the Colgate kids, and new Hummers were circling the square, but I don't think many parents were shopping. Still, I sold two bags, including one that I "bought" from Carol with my roving, (Debbie Zahn's doctor hubby bought it for her) and another that I've carried around for a while. I couldn't understand why that bag never sold, and was thinking about keeping it for myself. It's the red and green checked bag with the square red button...so cute. LL Bean colors I call it. A woman bought it for her mom. I was tickled because I bought the ONE YARD that was left on the bolt for $4.00 and made a terrific bag out of it. I said hello to some market friends who I had not seen since last summer. Suzanne Farrington, the local potter, wanted some of my yellow roving so a barter deal was made. I got a cute covered butter dish and some more cups for shaving soaps. I wandered over to Edie's stall, another local potter whose wares I have been lusting after for some time, and struck up a conversation. Lo and behold, we made a barter deal as well. She wanted some soap and creme and I got two square blue dinner plates from her. I've wanted those plates for a couple of years. They match the Errol Gumer pottery I bought ten years ago in Woodstock, NY. Works for me!! A few people bought soap but it was mostly a social time. We hit the new Tractor Supply in Hamilton on the way out and drove home on the lovely Larkin Road to North Brookfield. The fields are being plowed and wild apple trees are blooming everywhere. Back home to check on Bodie, do chores and check on the new baby. Monkey has to be "crotched," that is, the hair around her udder must be clipped away to enable the baby to find a teat. Mia is on the way to help me clip some yearling kids who are running around with very valuable mohair on them. They are too small for the shearing stand and need a patient person to hold them. I can't wait to see her and hear all the hospital news from NJ. We'll go to Frank's Pizzeria tonight. Thunderstorms have been raging all afternoon and I don't want to go far from home. I have two orders for small bags from Maryland to make. Have to make a bunch of small bags for the farmer's market. Next weekend is graduation and a big day at the market. I want to put my soap in smaller boxes that are easier to carry to my spot and put out. After coming home I went back out to the trailer to get some scissors, opened the back door and two giant boxes of soap came cascading out on the grass, with bars everywhere. Simultaneously the skies opened up and I was frantically scooping up wet bars. If the labels aren't perfect people don't want to buy them. So I will be shopping for some small boxes, then I can leave the bigger tubs home. Always trying to improve the operation. I'm open for ideas...

3 comments:

Gretchen said...

I'm glad you had fun!

Anonymous said...

Maybe get smaller boxes that fit into a larger rolling tub, then it'd be easier to get items to your booth in fewer trips?! Maybe then another rolling tub for back-up of soaps and fiber .... The rollings tubs stack nicely in the truck/trailer, but the rolling feature would reduce/eliminate the strain and hefting of the tubs you stress with now ..........

Henya said...

Wow, so much is going on. Have fun.