Monday, May 18, 2009

Escape


So it's one of those days when I'm thinking...it's too built up around here, why didn't I move farther into the country? I don't like being on a road where people go 60 miles an hour and run over my cats, I don't like having neighbors close by, they pull into my driveway and I feel like I have to be dressed all the time. People are always pissed off at me because of dogs or sheep. I'm working way too hard, I'm in the same rat-race I left in New Jersey and I hate it. I want a little cabin and a manageable barn with some flat fields and nobody around me for miles, with dairy goats for my milk and chickens for eggs...as long as I can get internet and UPS comes my way I can sew bags, spin yarn and cook soap, and make a buck and maybe buy some health insurance, or be so poor I can qualify for Medicaid...I just want to hide in my own little world with my animals...people are so tedious and they drain me. So I get on-line and check around. Lowville comes to mind. That area is one of the least populated in New York State....but WHAT is going on here? The prices are sky high! I bought this place four years ago, and I haven't checked lately, but there's a recession on, with so many foreclosures and people out of work, you would think little farms would be cheap. They are still asking the sun, moon and stars for real estate! What gives? I am making a decent living and I can't afford to move! Even in Upstate New York! The world has gone insane.

1 comment:

Henya said...

Maggie, this is too, too funny! I lived right outside of Lowville for almost three years. we lived in the huge industrial dairy farm that belongs to Dave Peck.
It is a very poor county. and very cold one too. I think it was the best time ever. We were sorry to go. As to the prices, the Amish are coming. There is a big movement there. Amish are buying up the farms, and the land.