Friday, November 05, 2010

Water in the Gas


I was obligated to stay at school for an extra five hours yesterday, from 8 to 8. Do we like it? No, but it's in our contract and there we are. I live too far away to go home and come back, so I settled in to my pretty classroom to go the distance.
Robin and I tidied up and Gretchen ordered out for dinner. I was happily cutting out tote bags and greeting visitors and finally it was time to head home to the farm. It was cold and still raining. I was worried about the animals, who are used to me getting home much earlier. I had thrown out extra bales for the sheep, but the dogs start listening for my steps around four. Suddenly the engine of my F150 starting skipping and bumping. I gave it more gas, but it skipped and bumped some more. Then it cut out all together. I coasted to the side of the road in front of a single wide trailer, all lit up like a Christmas tree. I tried the motor again and it started, then quit. An older man popped out on the porch. I called to him that I was broken down and could I use his phone. Cell phones are useless on the 15 mile stretch between Norwich and New Berlin. The man waved and called for me to see if I could get my truck in his driveway, out of the road. The engine started and I backed in. Even if it kept running, I was afraid to drive on for fear I would break down again and would have to hike in the rain and dark. The man said come on inside and use the phone. I stepped onto the porch with all the Christmas lights and giant Confederate flag with a big green bass fish on it. There were a couple of shot guns propped up by the door. He explained that they had been having some "neighbor problems" and were ready for action if necessary. He invited me to sit down and asked if I would like some tea. The trailer was so warm, clean and cozy I felt right at home. The Sleepytime Tea was just what I needed. There were family pictures all over the walls of the little trailer. The man took me around and introduced every family member and told me where they are now. He lost his wife of 52 years a year ago and told me all about her. I told him I was a BOCES teacher and he said his grandson goes there, but he had skipped school that day and was in big trouble when he got ahold of him. I asked his name - lo and behold the grandson is my student! I thought I must be in an episode of the Twilight Zone, then the student walked in to see me, his teacher, sitting at the kitchen table, sipping tea. He recovered and we all chatted between my attempts to get Matt on the phone to come and follow me home. Don't worry, the man said, I will follow you to Brookfield if you can't get your husband. Matt finally came in from chores and picked up the phone (memo to get a phone out in the barn!) and said he would come and get me. To tell you the truth, I was so comfortable where I was I forgot about getting home. I even thought to myself, gee, if I had to sleep here I would be perfectly comfortable on that sofa over there and the man would probably be fine with it. When Matt came the man wanted to pull the truck in his garage and open the hood, but it started and we set off. Sure enough, the engine gave out two more times and started up again. I made it to the Stewarts in New Berlin and gassed up. Matt put Dry-Gas in the tank, and some other potion. I drove home without a burp or a skip. Moral of the story - keep the tank full so condensation can't form. Now I have some new friends in Norwich. My student's grandfather is getting a hefty basket of soap for Christmas.

3 comments:

Cornerstone Fibres said...

Glad to hear you made it home safe and sound :) what a wonderful gentleman to run into and so funny his grandson is your student. bet his face when he walked in the door was priceless!
HUGS
Kim and crew

Tiggeriffic said...

Oh my goodness~ what a great story. I sometimes think when things happen like this it's a God moment. He does watch out for us.
This gentleman was needing company and how wonderful your truck broke down at the exact spot where you could get help and give a smile to someone lonly and even got some tea.Glad you got home O.K. ta ta for now from Iowa sunny and 23 degrees.

Anonymous said...

fabulous story! Bet his grandson was shocked - even moreso than you
were.