Saturday, November 06, 2010

Cauliflower and Red Potato Soup


I spent some time this morning making this hearty soup out of the potatoes and cauliflower I picked up at the farmer's market last week. I adore cauliflower and decided to let it be the star of the show in this soup. I've had a request for the recipe and here it goes. I used a great big pot as I like to freeze soup to use over the winter. There is nothing like dragging yourself in on a cold winter's night and firing up a pot of this wonderful soup. Now is the time to make it while the gardens are giving up their bounty before the big freeze.

Cut up LOTS of onions and start simmering in a half inch of olive oil.
Cut up several red potatoes (around six) with the skins still on into small cubes, add to onions.
Sprinkle with lots of black pepper and Hain's Sea Salt and let simmer until soft.
Add a quart of water to the onions and potatoes.
Rinse the cauliflowers and pull apart florets.
Slice the florets over the pot of simmering onions and potatoes. This can be done on a cutting board, of course, but I stand over the pot and breathe in the lovely aroma. I used six medium size cauliflowers in this soup and it made a good amount.
Add about a half of cup of dill weed, and two big tablespoons of lemon curry. If you can't find lemon curry at your market, use regular curry. I got my lemon curry from Jean Walsh, a shepherd in Jordanville, New York, who calls her spice business "An Enchanted Pantry." She has all kinds of fabulous herbs and spices in bulk. I'm hooked on her products!
Add more water if necessary, but not too much. This is a thick soup.
Simmer until the cauliflower is soft but not mushy. The dill and curry combine to give the soup a lovely color. If I had some white wine in the house I would have added a cup or two!

Bon Appetite!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

yum! Thanks!!