Friday, November 12, 2010

Creatures of Habit


I asked Matt to take me to Barnes and Noble last night to check for the latest British Country Living magazine. I adore it, and recently missed some copies. B&N is right up the road (a half hour away, remember we live in the country) and since he was willing to drive (I love to be driven where I want to go) we went. We usually combine that outing with a trip to Panera where we can both eat dinner for less than twenty bucks. I had a salad, so as not to bust my diet wide open with a baguette, etc, and despite some wilted greens it was delicious. Over to BN where I scored my British Country Living AND, to my great joy, a copy of Haute Handbags. It comes out four times a year and is packed filled with tiny art purses. I don't think I will ever glue soda can rings all over a handbag, but I enjoy seeing what crazy things artists do with purses. This issue has a few hooked rug purses and a terrific messenger style old blue jean bag that I can see myself making. I am a frustrated hooker. I have the cutting machine, canvas, and found a big bag of wool strips that I cut years ago in the Tractor Shed. Someday... A lot on deck today including the soap I never got to yesterday, sewing, post office, some house work but sadly, no washing of clothes. Matt and I spent a couple of hours trying to fix the old washer, then dragging it out and dragging my old spacemaker washer out of the tractor shed and, with great effort, into the milk room. Got it all hooked up but guess what, that doesn't work either. It made screeching noises then emptied all over the milk room. I bought it for the little cottage I lived in when I first left my big house in Morristown but only used it four years. I wince to think of what I paid for it then, but sitting 8 years hasn't helped it. Don't know of a washer repair person around here. I'll probably buy a used washer that I can use for clothes and wool. Matt is off to the Onondaga Nation not far from here today. They want to talk to him about doing their own weatherization of their homes. The Nation has no great love for the US Government but they want to save energy. The Nation considers everything they do with regard to the effect it will have on them for seven generations. Wouldn't it be nice if our gov. did the same? The Onondagas are a matriarchal tribe. All decisions made by the chiefs are brought to the women elders for consideration. Not bad. After watching Section 60 - Arlington National Cemetery in the wee hours this morning I can tell you many fewer young people would be lying in their graves if women had to sign off on war. Sun is coming up, I'm going to drink some more of Kim's Multatelli Coffee before I get to work.

No comments: