Friday, November 12, 2010

Happy Ducks



This lovely, sunny weather continues and the ducks are making the most of it. I filled their pool up this morning and the two Pekins, the big white ducks, jumped right in. The Swedish ducks and the one Rouen duck have to wait their turn. Sadly, the big girls, or boys - I don't know! - don't leave them much water. I wish I could turn the ducks loose to parade around the farm. I love to see them in ponds on farms I drive by, but they wouldn't last long with so many coyotes around. Last night there was such a chorus of coyotes across the creek I stood and listened in awe. I don't have anything against coyotes, in fact I love the wild animals, but I don't want to provide them with live dinner. I don't trust my own dogs around the ducks either. The chickens know how to handle the dogs, but the ducks I don't know. In the meantime I'll give them a nice little protected world with food and water. I have to decide what to do with them this winter. I'll make a place in the barn but I don't know where.

No comments: