Sunday, November 14, 2010

Sunday Afternoon Walk


The doggies (plus two kitties - Cassidy and Strawberry) took a long walk today, up to the tippy top of our hill, then down Hollow Road, then across the lower pasture. We had a lovely time despite shots of gunfire ringing through the valley now and then. I don't mind it too much as it was much worse when I lived in New Jersey. I was looking for sheep who might have wandered past the poop lines laying across the fields to find grazing ground. I circled back to find they had found patches just where I wanted them to graze. The goats are the real wanderers. They like to find spots in the woods on the ridge to camp out, sometimes overnight. I have to send Thor, Finn and Knut out to find them and make sure they are not eaten by coyotes and other varmints. There is still some grass to eat on the hill. A neighbor dairy farmer asked if he could cut and bale the upper field on shares, meaning he would keep some and give me some. I took him up on it but after one partial cutting he never came back, much to my disappointment. I hope he doesn't ask me again next year for I will surely say no. I'm hoping Stan and his son will do it for me until I can get my own equipment. I'm going to sew for the rest of the afternoon. All this long weekend I've been finding other things to do, like tend to critters, do some housecleaning, play on the internet (like I'm doing now)without getting much product made. Wish I could just relax and enjoy life but farmer's can't do that - it's not allowed!

No comments: