Tuesday, October 20, 2009

Whoops!


Red Maple Alpaca Sportswear, my booth neighbor at Rhinebeck, replaced Morehouse Merinos a couple of years ago. They are a nice couple of guys who wear kilts during the show. The kilts are very handsome, but can be a problem when one needs to climb a ladder to fix a light, or reach something high. I tried to be polite and avert my eyes, but he looked so cute trying to preserve his dignity I had to get this shot. Red Maple has lots of neat commercial alpaca products and knitting patterns. They are part of the Maine fiber contingent. Maine is very well represented at this show and includes many cashmere producers and the very famous and popular Robin spinning wheel. I don't mind being right next door to Red Maple. Most of my products are different and I'm proud of the fact that I raise my own fiber and spin my own wool. I am one of a unique and uncommon breed of fiber enthusiast, holding on fast to our ideals. If I was a potter I would be scraping my clay from creek banks instead of buying it at the art supply store. I didn't receive one inquiry from customers regarding where my wool comes from, but people who know me know I take pride in the fact that my wool comes from happy and well-cared-for animals. One lady told me she tracked me down after being told on Spin-List that I don't raise my sheep for meat. I'm happy I was there for her to buy her wool from, guilt free.

No comments: