Monday, October 19, 2009

In Good Hands


I left my farm in very capable hands this past weekend. Nurse Mia arrived on Friday with food, an array of medical textbooks several inches thick, and her knitting. All weekend long she tended to my critters, walking the doggies up and down the hillside, checking on the sheep and goats and making sure everybody was alright. On Sunday night we were greeted with a carved, shining Jack O' Lantern and glowing wood stove. Sweet potatoes were roasting in the oven, giving the apartment an intoxicating, sweet aroma. Mia makes coming home from a two hour pack-up and long truck ride in the dark so much easier. We had a drink and chatted until 2 am. Morning saw Mia rushing back to New Jersey and MSN school in Newark. She was happy to leave with my vintage Barbour jacket, which is too small for me now, and a hank of Pumpkin Orange (Jacquard dye color) blended with Sunflower Yellow angora, two ply yarn to knit winter scarves for herself and friends. I made my way back to BOCES, where I found that Robin, my aide, had everything in Special Ed. GED under control. Don't know why I even worried.

1 comment:

miaaviva said...

it is so lonely here without you and all of the critters!!! Good thing I have my special comforter and my knitting!!! love you so much.. and just used the new cream at school...wow! amazing.. just like you!!! oxoxoxoxox