Monday, October 12, 2009

Peppers Galore


Ron Wagner, the farmer across from me at the farmer's market, had a bumper crop of peppers this year - 3 acres of them. He had giant bags of peppers for sale at the market, at ridiculously low prices. They were so pretty that I had to bring some home, along with a box of tomatoes and some cabbage, cauliflower and broccoli. Now cooking is the last thing I need to do this weekend, but I thought, oh, all that vitamin C, all those anti-oxidants, and the joy of fresh, local vegetables. Well, after three hours slicing and boiling and stirring, I said this is enough! One big bag of peppers went to Mary my shepherd friend who LOVES to cook. It was a good move, because today she delivered a dish of scrumptious stuffed peppers, with her own beef and beans, and a bag of salad greens. Just what the doctor ordered. I decided to give the cabbage and cauliflower to my grateful chickens, and the broccoli to my bunnies. Happiness all around. It's cold outside now and I can't go out without a jacket on. No frozen bunny water yet, the real harbiger of winter to me. Give it a couple of weeks and it will happen. It's wool time!

No comments: