Tuesday, October 20, 2009

Oh, Martha!


I was dragging my feet yesterday but still had to do some things after school. I stopped at the market to pick up some things for my GED classroom and noticed the new Thanksgiving Martha Stewart magazine. Oh, Martha, what a terrific issue, filled with recipes like yam casserole, cauliflower salad, wild rice/cranberry salad and, ofcourse, the pies. All the food I love. Yummy in the tummy and so much fun in the fall when we are hunkered down inside. Robin and I want to cook a traditional Thanksgiving dinner with our class as we have a full kitchen in the room. Getting the turkey cooked in time would be a problem, but Martha has a solution. In this issue she shows how to take the backbone out of the turkey and cook it flat on a cookie sheet, taking much less time. Works for us. Alas, I have no relatives around here and my kids have other family and work obligations this Thanksgiving. It won't keep me from playing with some Martha recipes and cooking up a storm. There's always the freezer waiting to keep it all fresh for later meals. I plan on doing a lot of spinning over Thanksgiving weekend, and sewing for the Plowshares and Riverkeeper shows taking place in early December. I am never alone on this farm as there is a cast of hundreds just outside of my apartment door.

No comments: