Monday, October 19, 2009

Thank You Friends



Many thanks to everyone who, in a small or big way, made the NY State Sheep and Wool Festival such a fabulous success for me. Saturday's crowds were smothering - how lovely for the vendors - but Sunday saw frozen drizzle and bone-chilling cold. The hard core fiber people came out anyway and it all came together. Kim, my fiber-sister, and her husband, Darryl, were waiting to help us get the booth together. The trailer was snug as a bug in a rug to sleep in. Good thing we had the little box heater 'cause it was cooollldd in Dutchess County. The multitudes surged through the gates on Saturday and the show was in full swing. Everything I make was validated in some way. Bags marched out on women's shoulders and enough soap was sold to clean up a good deal of the Northeast. Fiber sales were moderate as there was wool in almost every booth, but I made a good showing of it. Blog readers sought me out to say hello in person, and faithful patrons of old made their yearly visit. Sunday night came too soon and my Canadian helpers said goodbye. I hated to see them go, but I'm hoping Kim comes back for the Plowshares show in December. So many happy memories. Back to work too soon. Oh, am I dragging tonight, and I'm forcing myself to take the evening off and play with my dogs and cats. I brought home a new bunny from Sally Campbell, my Virginia friend who gave me all that fantastic fabric for Mia's comforter and curtains. I wasn't planning on more rabbits, but I'm surrounded by dedicated Angora rabbits breeders and have so many fiber bunnies available to me...and I do have empty cages. I didn't make many purchases for myself. The list goes something like this: a bunch of Sweet Annie branches for a door wreath, a used The Best of Rowan knitting book, some mohair boucle skeins from Mohair in Motion's sale bin (I'll ply them with angora for Christmas gift scarves) and some New Hampshire sheep mugs from my vendor neighbors, Gordon and Donna Carlson of the Sheep Shed. OH, I also bought some lovely purple felted pin cushions from Wes Robinson, Beth's mom. Only $5 each, they'll make cute Christmas gifts for some BOCE teacher friends.

No comments: