Sunday, October 04, 2009

Apple Hill



The first Southern Tier Natural Fiber Celebration took place in Binghamton today. Big name for a cute little show. Most people who came were more interested in the restaurant on the ground of the pick-your-own apple orchard. I made a few new fiber friends and some good contacts for sheepy things. My dear friend, Rebecca Dioda, drove up from Glen Gardner New Jersey with her husband, Mark, to visit me at the show. It was a real treat to see her and finally meet Mark. I tried out a Norm Hall wheel, made by the local celebrity who gets $5,000 plus per wheel and has a seven year waiting list I'm told. Not real impressed. It has lots of pretty wood, but the treadle requires rather hard pumping and I have to sit at an awkward angle to draft. I was more interested in the pattern for the sweater the owner was wearing, from Priscilla Gibson Roberts book, Knitting in the Old Way. I adore Ganseys. Wish I was a better knitter, but with a full time job and all these critters it is a wonder I can get some yarn spun, let alone improve my knitting skills. I'm more likely to sell the yarn I spin to pay for hay. After loading up I walked over to the lovely apple trees, heavy with their harvest. I confess I picked two up off the ground to eat on the way home. It was perfectly ripe, crisp, tasty and delicious. Home to do chores. I'm not spending nearly enough time with my four footed friends, or the feathery friends, either. I have a three day weekend coming up and hope to make it up to them. I get so homesick for my dogs and sheep when I'm at work. Gotta deal...

1 comment:

Cornerstone Fibres said...

HUGS homey -you tell me what colour you want spun up for your sweater and I am on it for you :)
Have a great week!!!
Hugs to you and all the critters!
Kim