Thursday, October 01, 2009

Such a Day!


My first birthday present came to me in the form of a paralyzed goat who decided to get up and walk around. I couldn't believe my eyes when I climbed the ladder to the hay mow. I expected to see her in the same spot I left her in after re-positioning last night, but she had moved closer to the ladder like she was waiting for me. When I looked at her, she stood up! Meningeal worm, which is what the symptoms she exhibited told me, does not go away. The paralysis is permanent. All you can do is arrest the progression of the parasite up the spine. Could she have something different? She has not been able to use her legs for almost a week. Whatever it is, I hope she continues to improve. On to work at BOCES with another batch of sewing to work on through the second Open House night. My GED section includes a "life skills" component, so I am not that far afield with sewing. I walk into my room to find an array of gift bags and presents, TWO chocolate cakes and a bouquet of flowers from Eric and the California crowd. I'm overwhelmed and my students are excited. I was showered with Happy Birthday wishes all day. My presents include: a lovely handmade, tie-dyed sack filled with coffee, chocolate candies and lingonberry jam with a kiwi torte from Gretchen, a selection of Mary Kay make-up from Laurie, an adorable sheep spoon-rest from Robin, a coffee grinder with beans from Rosanna, and a sack of delicious chocolate candies from Kelly. My GED students all sang Happy Birthday to me and we ate cake at the end of our morning session. I am happy and exhausted from so much excitement. Don't know what the night will bring. I think Matt is coming home from the Bronx but I don't know. Sure would be nice to have help with the chores tonight. Is it Friday yet????

3 comments:

Cornerstone Fibres said...

HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!!!!!
hope you have a great day :)
HUGS to my sister friend

Kim and Crew

Anna said...

Happy Birthday Maggie!

Penny said...

Happy, Happy Birthday to you Maggie!!

Wishing you many blessings on your special day.