Saturday, April 19, 2008

Still No Water


Matt replaced the electronics to the well but still no water. The pump must be shot. A well guy is coming up from Unadilla today. This is really going to be awful. Wish I had a new pump put in when I bought the place, but who could know? This one must be 20 plus years old, and pumped water for over a hundred cows, including drinking and washing them up. Speaking of washing up...I sure wish I could. I went up to the pond yesterday but it was so full of big, fat tadpoles I changed my mind. We toted dozens of containers of water over from Sister Bernadette's for the sheep and lambs. Matt didn't want to bother them with hooking up a hose (men!!) or I would have heated up enough for a shampoo in pots. There is plenty of water on this property, with a cistern in the field behind the barn. I haven't had it tested for drinking yet but the animals do fine with it. We could survive a breakdown of public utilities if we had to...better than most. Matt predicts food riots someday soon - they are already going on in other parts of the world. Food is ridiculously expensive and getting higher. I don't know how people feed their children, then buy gas at almost $4 a gallon. I hope the Sisters put in another garden, or I will have to make one of my own. I still want to plant blueberry bushes...have to start investigating which variety is best for this area. I had another lamb adopted yesterday. Molly from Canandaigua and her mother took the plunge into sheep parenthood. Molly bought my maple Robin wheel and is loving it - who wouldn't?

No comments: