Sunday, April 27, 2008

Maryland Called


A miracle happened Friday night. Now I am not the best at checking messages on the voice mail. I am out in the barn quite a bit, or at school, and miss a lot of messages. I have to call up to get them and would rather leave it to Matt. My kids email, or keep calling, fortunately. Matt waits for me to get the messages, therein lies the problem. Friday night Matt sat down to get the voice mailbox freed up. He said You have a call from somebody in Maryland. That could only mean one thing...I had applied to be put on the wait list for the Maryland Sheep and Wool Festival. Could that be what the call was about? How old was the message? Did I miss out due to no response on my part? My chest tightened as I dialed the number. A nice lady picked up and asked me if I would like to come to Maryland. She had a cancellation and was offering me the spot. Now, I have applied to this festival for four years, and have attended for twelve. It is probably the toughest show to get into, and I had given up hope. I was told by people who listen to the buzz more than I do, that they have too much wool and are always looking for something new. Many of my sheep friends are in the show, but they got in years ago before it was so big and competitive. I couldn't believe it was finally happening for me. After the initial euphoria subsided, panic set in. I have fewer saleable items in my stash than ever before. With lambing and spending ALL my money on hay, I don't even have any of my famous lavender soap. I love to give away soap and my stock is way down. You can't make soap in a week. I have spent the weekend sewing bags. Today I will take inventory of my roving. I spent $45 I don't have to spend on ordering in more shea butter and beeswax for hand creme - something I can make at the last minute. Somehow I will pull this off. I have taxes to pay and fence to buy, and owe just about everybody money for something. Matt will stay home to take care of the farm. The only legal vehicle I have able to make the trip is Mia's Jeep. I have to fit all my stuff in there, which means no giant baskets and a lot of stuff will have to go on top. Jan, God bless her, will meet me in Maryland to help me with the booth. I hope to make a good impression so they will have me back next year. Rain all next week and a wet weekend in Maryland is forecast. Luckily, it's an inside space. Better get back on the sewing machine. My Bundaflicka Bags will look great in the booth and make a "statement." I have lots of dyed curly locks that I will put on the table in bushel baskets if I can find some.

4 comments:

Cornerstone Fibres said...

HURRAY!!!!! Way to go! About time they recognized your beautiful and unique products. They are going to be blown away by them and begging you for years to come.
Wish I could be there.
HUGS
Kim

The socklady said...

Conga Rats on getting your foot in the door, am sure you will do verra well with your bags etc. Take lots of pix so we all can see what your area looks like. Someday I am hoping to get back to "The Show", for now will have to settle for BSG.

Anonymous said...

You do realize that by the time we get the booth set up Friday night, I'll be talking with a Maryland accent don't you! I can't wait to get there. I love to do Rhinebeck with you, and can only imagine how much fun we're going to have. And you are going to feel so proud when everyone oohs-and ahhhs at your bags, handcreme and everything else you manage to cram into the jeep. I'll check out my basket supply for the wool ....

Congrats on getting your invite! :)

Kathleen said...

congratulations, Maggie! I know you'll do well there!