Saturday, April 05, 2008

Lovely Leicesters



My beautiful Bluefaced Leicesters have proven their worthiness this winter. They are hardy and strong (although skinny) despite a winter with no grain and not-the-best hay. I appreciate them more than ever...and the wool is just heavenly. I got this lovely purebred ewe from Kathy Davidson in southern Pennsylvania after her pasture dried up and she had to cut down her numbers. I am holding on to my sheep for dear life. The drought is predicted to continue this summer in the Southeast unfortunately. With luck, Central New York will continue to be the breadbasket of the East. I just have to get more of it in my barn before next winter hits.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

If the weather holds, they'll soon be adding the pounds. Remember how fat they were last summer? They'll be that way soon. And next year you'll be able to fill that barn full of hay for all the flock.

Hang in there all of you!

Kathleen said...

Have the adoptions of lambs helped some? How is that going? Are thre still lambs to adopt?