Tuesday, April 22, 2008

Happy Earth Day


Another Earth Day. In Global History class we climbed the mountain behind the school, a bit of a struggle in the heat and the wrong shoes for me, but it felt good to stay ahead of most of the kids. I was grateful for all the climbs up my own hill to the pond with the doggies. The grass is greening up but still not long enough to let the sheep out on it. We have to put up fence first anyway, or else they will be across the street on Jan's fields. By the time we get the fence up the grass will be a foot high and the sheep will think they have died and went to heaven. I keep listening to all this energy talk, and now that Matt is working for an energy non-profit I hear it from him. We were so excited about the bio-fuels but that turned out to be a global disaster considering all the forests being torn down to grow the corn, soybeans, palms, etc. I never thought I would consider drilling for oil a lesser evil, but it seems to be less invasive. Sweden is making energy from wood, but that doesn't seem practical in the US. I don't know what the answer is, but I know that using corn for ethanol is driving the price up so high I can hardly afford it for my lambs. People in the third world are starving. Hillary has just won Pennsylvania - there is hope for her candidacy. Many Obama supporters say they won't vote for her if she wins the Democratic party nomination. Well, that doesn't make a lot of sense. They care more for a candidate than the party and what it stands for? That makes them no better than a bunch of groupies following a rock star. I personally don't have anything against Obama, but I'm afraid those Republicans would chew him up and spit him out. Hillary would not be intimidated by anyone. It should be a very interesting summer.

2 comments:

miaaviva said...

hi mommie.. miss you! i get to take the kids out of school early today and go to the spring preserves.. i'm a lucky auntie :)

Kathleen said...

I want to say that solar is the way to go, but I'm not sure it will ever be affordable for the average person to power her life with solar energy.